The Swire Conservation Scholarship
Graduate Studies in Forest Science and Conservation
Applications are invited for the Swire Conservation Scholarship for the 2012-2013 academic year. Successful applicants will be supported as they pursue a Masters of Science through research at a university of their choice. Programs of study can include, but are not limited to forest science, ecology, ecosystem studies, botany, entomology, silviculture, physiology and systematics.
The objective of the Swire Conservation Scholarship is to strengthen capacity in conservation science and enable long-term sustainable management of tropical forests in Papua New Guinea. The scholarship intends to further the education of individuals of exceptional promise so as to develop leadership in forest science and management in Papua New Guinea. The scholarship has been established in collaboration by John Swire & Sons Pty Ltd, Steamships Trading Company, Smithsonian Global Earth Observatories/Center for Tropical Forest Science (SIGEO-CTFS), and the Binatang Research Centre, and is funded by the Swire Educational Trust.
The scholarship will be awarded on the basis of academic merit. The scholarship is open to candidates who satisfy the following conditions:
- Applicant must be a citizen of Papua New Guinea.
- Applicant must have completed undergraduate studies in biological sciences related to conservation and/or forest science.
- Applicant must demonstrate his or her commitment to conservation and the long-term sustainable management of the forests of Papua New Guinea.
The scholarship will include:
- International postgraduate tuition fees for the approved course of study
- Stipend for relocation costs and living expenses
- Academic mentoring by renowned international scientists for the duration of the scholarship.
Submission details and deadline to be announced