Main Banner
Change Location:
coordinates
Latitude:42.3833, Longitude:128.083

The 25-ha Changbaishan plot lies within the Changbaishan National Nature Reserve in northeast China at 42°23′N, 128°05′E. It was established in 2004 and is located in broadleaved Korean pine mixed forest, the most common vegetation type. Plot elevation varies from 791.8 m to 809.5 m above sea level. Mean annual precipitation is approximately 700 mm, and most of this occurs from June to September (490-500 mm). Mean annual temperature is 2.9°C, with a January mean of -13.7°C and a mean July temperature of 19.63°C.

There are 38,902 individual trees, belonging to 52 species, 32 genera, and 18 families. Floristic characteristics of the community belong to Changbaishan flora, including some Tertiary relic species and subtropical species. Three species comprise 60% of all individuals. Fourteen species account for 95% of all individuals, while 38 species comprise the remaining less than 5% of all individuals. The statistics of species abundance, basal area, mean DBH, and importance value show that there are obviously dominant species in the community.

Collaborating Institution Contact Information
Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Chinese Forest Biodiversity Monitoring Network; Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University (USA) Dr. Zhanqing Hao hzq@iae.ac.cn